Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Better to Give

Jesus told His disciples that it is "better to give than receive" but are we correctly understanding this?

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we much help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive." //Acts 20:35//

During the Christmas season people tend to take this verse and use it to their advantage, and honestly I don't think their intentions are wrong.  Parents encourage kids that it is better to give presents than to receive them, and often times this is true, but if the heart isn't in it, the phrase means nothing.  When we actually read the verse through, we see that it is talking about giving of our time and services to help the weak (those in need).  



If I've noticed anything these past five months, as my church and family has been going through trial after trial, it is that the people in the congregation who have remained involved and active in their faith, are the people who continue to diligently serve in the church.  As Christmas is approaching, I hope to look for the needs in others' lives before my own and be blessed in the way which I can serve those around me.  We can start putting others first in small ways, starting in our own homes, then church family, and then our coworkers, and those we see daily.  When we commit to serving others daily, from the heart, and with the motives of glorifying God, we will be truly blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.