Friday, January 29, 2016

Being "Artistic"

Well hello there!  I wanted to launch the series that I'm doing called, "How to be artistic in all that you do".  Every few weeks I am going to be discussing what I think living artistically looks like.




I found this quote that I can't stop thinking about, spoken by a man who was considered an artist: "There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." - Vincent Van Gogh

I began making this list (of how to live artistically) at the end of last year simply because I had been noticing traits that I would like to acquire or habits that I would like to obtain.  When I was younger I would tell people who asked that when I "grew up" I wanted to be an artist.  Now that I am "growing up" I am realizing that I already am an artist and that I am becoming a more advanced one.  Google defines "artist" as both, "a person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby" and (I like this second definition better) "a person skilled at a particular task or occupation".
I asked a few of my friends what they thought an "artist" was and through collaboration we came up with:
An artist is someone who:
- has an active imagination and uses it
- can "create" things, using their creativity and are original
- stands out from the crowd and doesn't go along with whatever everyone else is doing
- can view others and the world around them in a different light and with a different perspective 
- uses their talents, their God given gifts, and what they love doing to the full extent of their abilities

I think of God as the ultimate Artist.  I mean, He created EVERYTHING out of NOTHING.  We are made in the image of God therefore He has blessed us with the same creative talents and intelligent minds.  All we have to do is figure out how to use these abilities, what to do with them and how to use them for God's glory.

It's so neat to hear how often the Bible mentions artwork!  Here's a few that stood out to me:

"Yet you, Lord, are our Father.  We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of you hand." Isaiah 64:8
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14
"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10



3 comments:

  1. I'm loving this already. Art is such a beautiful thing and even though I don't claim to be a good one (at all), I am proud to have the title of 'artist' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, eye-opening post!

    Ava
    http://landofquiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ava, for checking out my blog! I'm about to check out yours:)

      Delete

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.